Tuesday 6 December 2022

Cavalry for the Sudan

The Sudan project started off with quite modest ambitions but I've found the Sharp Practice variant has delivered so many enjoyable games that it's inspired me to add a few additional units. The one thing the project has been missing is mounted units, so I've rectified that by adding a unit for both the Mahdists and the British.



These are all from the lovely Perry Miniatures Sudan range. The units are based on a standard Sharp Practice mounted unit of eight figures plus a leader, which is convenient as Perry sell the figures in sets of three.

For the Mahdists I've decided to mix up the groups to include those with rifles, spears and swords rather than have them as a homogenous unit with the same weapons. I'm imagining each warrior arrived with his own mount and choice of weapons.

The British represent the 19th Hussars, who all carry their sword but are also equipped with a rifle. A few of the figures lack the usual animation you'd expect from the Perrys but they work well as a group.



I don't know what it is about painting mounted figures but I find I labour over them. Perhaps it's the fact they aren't complete until you have done rider and mount and so the time from start to completion seems to take that much longer. Whatever it is, I'm always happy at the end but don't always enjoy the journey.

12 comments:

  1. Awesomly painted.
    I especially love the pose of the rightmost British in the last photo.

    The last paragraph perfectly reflects my feelings about painting cavalry.

    I have painted my 20 mm all khaki, to use them as Mexico and Iran. http://umpapas.blogspot.com/2020/05/172-20-mm-pulp-biritsh-cavalry-iraq.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The set is variable for a few campaigns, I like what you’ve done with yours.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to an AAR with some mounted action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly add an extra dimension, I’m tossing up whether to include them in the participation games I’m running at Lard Down Under in January.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful looking figures. I actually really enjoy painting horses but I work with them IRL so that is probably why. Most of my hobby friends do not share my feelings though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. If I didn’t know I’d be happy with the end result I’ve had moments where I’m wanting to give up, not something that usually happens when I’m painting. To be honest I’m getting better, the more I do the more I’ve developed a technique that makes it easier (I also know very little about horses, unlike you!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely painting. Cavalry in SP2 always seem to get massacred in our games … but they do look good! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Given the presence of breech loaders I do have my fears for any cavalry but they should add an extra dimension to the games. Timing will be very important.

      Delete
  6. These look great, and I own these models too - might have to paint them myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work on all of these figures!

    ReplyDelete