Two things inspired this particular project. I liked the way the new rules for assault deployment in Chain of Command v2 have streamlined the way in which a unit can disembark from an armoured personnel carrier after it has moved. It makes it far more likely that players will employ this tactic in the way it was used historically. Second, I've been playing the Bazooka Town campaign from one of the Lard Magazines and it features an American force composed of armoured infantry. I have the men, but I didn't have enough transport for them.
I had made a token gesture a few years ago using an M5 halftrack that was left over from a project for my British. Generally, the M5 was made available to allies through lend lease, but it was the M3 variant in most use with the Americans. Technically, mine was the incorrect variant, but at least it allowed me to field a halftrack if I needed one. Although to be honest in overall appearance there is very little to distinguish between the two. To draw the eye away I filled it with a lovely set of figures from AB Figures.
Recently, by pure chance, I acquired a set of three Plastic Soldier Company M3 halftracks with US crew figures. Dave, my regular opponent was moving house and as part of a clear out he offered me several 20mm Second World War items at a price that was hard to refuse. At the time I hadn't begun the Bazooka Town campaign and so wasn't sure I would find much use for the half track set, but the price was right and you never know when something might come in handy. It turns out it was much sooner than I imagined.
It wasn't until we started the Bazooka Town campaign and my opponent wanted to mount a section in a half track did it occur to me that I might end up needing enough vehicles to convey not one section, but an entire platoon. That's more likely to happen now that the v2 edition of the rules makes the tactic more appealing.
The PSC set allows you to build either the M3 or M3A1 version. The latter featured an armoured pulpit mount for a machine gun. By the later stages of the war all new halftracks were the M3A1 variant and most of the original M3s were upgraded to match.
While the PSC figures are a little over scale they do the job. I haven't glued these in place for a couple of reasons. One is so I can remove them during a game to indicate when the passengers deploy out of the vehicle. Secondly, I may well replace them one day with the rather nice sets from AB.
With these new additions I now have all the key American tanks represented in the collection for a late war armoured division with suitable transport for their mechanised infantry. More importantly, I have all the halftracks I need for when we resume the Bazooka Town campaign in a couple of weeks.


No comments:
Post a Comment