Sunday 23 April 2023

Naval Brigade for Sudan

I've added a unit of Naval Brigade to bring a touch of colour and swagger to my British force for the Sudan. There is definitely something slightly incongruous about a bunch of sailors fighting Mahdists in the desert but I think that's all part of the appeal.

All the figures are from Perry Miniatures and are grouped together for use playing the Sharp Practice variant for the later colonial period. This gives me three groups of eight infantry with a selection of leaders.




I particularly like the set of command figures. It includes a very nice selection of different characters.

The set also includes a mounted officer.



These now join the 7 pounder screw gun, also from Perry Miniatures.


And a Gardner Gun, again from Perry Miniatures.


While there is always room to add more for now this gives me enough options for British infantry and support weapons to cover most of my game needs. Of course in this hobby there is no such word as 'never' or 'finished' so I'll avoid boxing myself into a corner by suggesting this is the end of the Sudan collection. Let's just say, it's the end for now.

12 comments:

  1. All the girls love a sailor, but good luck finding any girls in the Sudan.
    Your Sudan force seem to be outgrowing Sharp Parctice is there another rule set lurking in the background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sudan force continues to grow but primarily due to lack of common sense on my part. This was always intended as a small side project but you can see how that's worked out. I tried Death in the Dark Continent at the club last week, that handles slightly bigger battles than Sharp Practice, although to be honest the rule set didn't grab me. Other than a dozen Bashi Bazouks there are no more unpainted Sudan figures in the paint queue, so this is close to it I suspect.

      Delete
  2. Those are nice looking figures and you have done a great job on them. I really like the irregular base edges- I might have to try some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Given the lack of foliage the regular bases look too angular in shape to blend in with the terrain, so I much prefer roughing up the base edges like this. Works well I think.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks John, I'm hoping to use some of these for the participation game at MOAB later this year.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work on those Naval lads. Every large Sudan game I play always sees an appearance of the Naval Brigade. They always look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I assume that’s Lord Beresford with the Naval Brigade Gardener Gun?

    Are you planning on getting any of the Camel Corps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just cant have a proper Colonial game without a Naval Brigade I always say!

    Thats a really fabulous collection you've built for the Sudan mate, well done indeed

    ReplyDelete